Keeping Safe Online - Have you been Pwned?




Just what would the English language be without computers?

Being 'pwned' happens when your details, eg email address, password, likes and dislikes are illegally downloaded.

Many organisations suffer data breaches. This is not because their security is weak (this can of course be a reason).

In the past Edmodo and Canva had user details stolen. Recently, mathway had 25,000,000 user details stolen.

So what's the problem? Stolen user details are more often than not sold on the Dark Web. Once your details are traded they may be used to create accounts masquerading as you. An email loaded with a virus might be sent out in your name. That compromises a school system.

Chances are that you use the same password for a range of accounts? If I know your password for an email account I might spend some time trying to break into your other accounts. If I can spot you on Facebook, for example, I might have a go at using your password. If I'm succesful I might just post an outrageous comment, or worse. 

Of course, I'm not going to sit there and do this. I'll use a program to troll you and the other 25,000,000 accounts. 

So, 'pwned'? It is a derivation of 'owned'. When I have your details I own you. When I own you I have control over you. When I have control over the digital you I may fund terrorism, people trafficking and drug smuggling.

Take a look at what has been happening recently: 



What to not do?

Don't sign up to apps using your school email details before having this approved.

If you sign up using your school details email, do not use the same password.

What to do?

If you haven't changed your school, or other passwords recently, think about doing that now.

Check if you have been pwned: https://haveibeenpwned.com/

If you are worried or want advice and help contact Mike Jones or the Technical Team

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dealing with Large Videos

Converting PowerPoint to Google Slides

Creating an Assignment in Google Drive